I recently attended Ambiances, tomorrow, the 3rd International Congress on Ambiances organised in Volos, Greece: 21 – 24 September 2016 by the International Ambiances Network.
Above: Poster of the Congress
More than 150 speakers presented papers on one of the six themes below:
1. Ambiantal experiences and experiments
2. Traces, notations and representations of ambiances
3. Projecting and manufacturing the ambiances of tomorrow
4. Ambiance, atmosphere, climate: theory, politics and criticism
5. Ambiances and territories in transformation
6. Ambiance as heritage of the future
More on the 3rd International Congress on Ambiances
More on the International Ambiances Network
Aside from a rich array of presentations, the congress included workshops and events, notably the Transects workshop, where teams of 4 researchers were invited to document a pre-selected route across Volos. Detailed information about the workshop is available on the congress’s website.
I worked with 3 other people (from Spain and Denmark) documenting route 5. Each of us had a specific role and mine was the cartographer. A fun and enjoyable experience, a great way to get to know people and a city.
Above: Map showing all routes. The black lines show pre-selected routes and the red ones the paths taken by the research teams. The objective was to remains as close as possible to the pre-selected route.
Route 5 (my group)
Route 5 close up.