Spatial Experience 2014 at the RCA

Following a successful talk on Spatial Experience at the Royal College of Art in 2013, I was invited again to share my research interests in this area and this time it was filmed!

I introduced RCA students to environmental perceptions in 3 stages: the scale of perceptions, background knowledge, tools and methodologies. Although the RCA doesn’t have any courses on spatial design or architecture, many students work on project that introduce a level of interaction between people and space. It’s great to be able to contribute and some students are very keen as I found out after the talk and from the emails I received.

SPATIAL EXPERIENCE – An insight into environmental perceptions

The lecture proposes that life itself is a performance and considers the notion of space not simply as a physical entity but as an event. Starting with observations on identity, cultural ideologies and communication, the proposal unfolds to provide an insight into environmental perceptions and atmospheric qualities, and includes examples of experimental projects designed to develop environmental awareness and knowledge of spatial experiences.

Link to LCC blog post 

References

• Merleau-Ponty M., (2012 ed.) Phenomenology of Perception, Routledge
  • Gibson J. J., (1986) The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception Psychology Press
  • Pallasmaa J., (2005) The Eyes of the Skin. Architecture and the Senses. John Wiley and Sons
  • Malnar M. J., Vodvarka F., (2004) Sensory Design University of Minnesota Press
  • Van Schaik L., (2008) Spatial Intelligence. New Futures for Architecture. AD Primer. John Wiley and Sons
  • Lefebvre H., (1991 ed.) The Production of Space. Blackwell Publishing
  • Zizek S., (2006) How to read Lacan Granta Books
  • Freud S., (2003 ed.) The Uncanny Penguin Classics
  • Zumthor P., (2003) Atmospheres Birkhauser, Basel.
  • Perec G. (2008 ed.) Species of Spaces and Other Pieces Penguin Classics
This entry was posted in Spatial Experience and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Spatial Experience 2014 at the RCA

1. Pingback: A Fun Way for Spatial Design Students to Learn About Colour | Munsell Color System; Color Matching from Munsell Color Company