Author’s profile

Valerie is a Senior Lecturer and Course Leader at University of the Arts London, where she teaches interdisciplinary spatial practices. Her research centres on spatial experiences, sensing and atmospheres in interior and urban environments. In her work, she develops sensory research methods and practical applications for design. She is currently working on a doctoral research project investigating how experiences of affective atmospheres contribute to emotional attachment to place in public interiors.

Research

One Response to Author’s profile

1. Van Oosterwyck Dirk says:

dear Valerie,

I ‘m doing a PhD in architecture at the University of Antwerp, focusing on spatial experience, both from the perspective of the user and the designer. The aim of the research is to enhance the design process by providing architects with a suitable vocabulary (words, images, …) based on a coherent theory, and by developing a tool that can help architects develop their ‘sensitivity’. This without trying to pin the experience/atmosphere down objectively or by formulating ‘design prescriptions’.

I am very interested in the method you apply in your paper ‘sensing the urban interior’. I would like to try it out myself and with masterstudents on some buildings. And I am wondering if it could be adjusted to implement it in a design process.
    Do you have more information on the sensory flow chart and the atmospheric syntax? Any info would be welcome (theoretical background, implementation, practical concerns of recording, …) as I am struggling to develop a method or tool that provides useful information without reducing the complexity and subjectivity of a spatial experience to such an extent it evaporates.

Kind regards,
    Dirk