About

My research practice centres on atmospheres, sensory experience in spaces and places, and sensory culture. I investigate interior and urban environments to uncover ways we can enrich subjective experiences and emotional wellbeing through design. Projects incorporate multidisciplinary spatial design, phenomenological and sensory ethnographic modalities.

Full profile

Published research papers

Follow Valerie @ValerieMace

One Response to About

1. Van Oosterwyck Dirk says:

dear Valerie,

I ‘m doing a PhD in architecture at the University of Antwerp, focusing on spatial experience, both from the perspective of the user and the designer. The aim of the research is to enhance the design process by providing architects with a suitable vocabulary (words, images, …) based on a coherent theory, and by developing a tool that can help architects develop their ‘sensitivity’. This without trying to pin the experience/atmosphere down objectively or by formulating ‘design prescriptions’.

I am very interested in the method you apply in your paper ‘sensing the urban interior’. I would like to try it out myself and with masterstudents on some buildings. And I am wondering if it could be adjusted to implement it in a design process.
    Do you have more information on the sensory flow chart and the atmospheric syntax? Any info would be welcome (theoretical background, implementation, practical concerns of recording, …) as I am struggling to develop a method or tool that provides useful information without reducing the complexity and subjectivity of a spatial experience to such an extent it evaporates.

Kind regards,
    Dirk